Gary Schneider was born in South Africa and moved to New York where he has lived since 1977. He has a Bachelor of Fine Art from Michaelis School of Fine Art in Cape Town and a Master of Fine Art from Pratt Institute in New York. Schneider’s early work in painting, performance and film remain integral to his explorations of portraiture and identity. ‘Genetic Self-Portrait’, 1998, has been exhibited internationally, including at Mass MoCA, Massachusetts; The International Center of Photography, New York; The Musee de L’Elysee Lausanne, Switzerland; and the National Gallery of Canada. ‘Genetic Self-Portrait’ received an Eisenstaedt Award from Life Magazine and Columbia School of Journalism in 2000. In 2004, ‘Gary Schneider: Portraits’, a survey, was mounted at the Sackler Museum, Harvard University and received a National Endowment for The Arts grant. Yale University Press and Harvard University Art Museums published the catalog. In 2005, ‘Nudes’ was published by Aperture Foundation, and was exhibited at the Aperture gallery, and later traveled to The Reykjavik Art Museum, Iceland. In 2006, Schneider received the Lou Stoumen Award from MoPA, San Diego and in 2008 the museum mounted a survey ‘Flesh’. Schneider’s most recent book, ‘HandBook,’ was published in 2010 by Aperture Foundation, and a new book featuring HandPrints from South Africa is forthcoming. Schneider’s work is represented in numerous public collections including: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The National Gallery of Canada, The Art Institute of Chicago, The Whitney Museum, Yale University Art Museum, The Guggenheim Museum, and The Boston Museum of Fine Art.
- Gary Schneider Publications
- Review. The Brooklyn Rail, Dec 2011/Jan 2012
- Review. New Yorker, September, 2011
- Review. Mary Corrigall, "Painting with light". The Sunday Independent
- Article. Bronwyn Law-Viljoen, "Talk to the hand", Mail & Guardian
- Radio Interview, "Today Outspoken", Frank Malaba LBGT Show, Johannesburg
- Review. Kate McCrickard, "Hand-Made Aesthetics", Art South Africa, Johannesburg
- "Photogravure is Beautiful Ink"
- Review. Art on Paper, Faye Hirsch, May 2002
- Boston Globe
- Artist's Website